Translate

Friday, May 8, 2015

Silicone Caulk & Cornstarch Mold Making

This is the first mold I made using 100% silicone, corn starch, and a few drops of baby oil. I pretty much used a 1:1 ratio of silicone caulk and cornstarch to begin with, and then added more cornstarch as needed so that I could get a nice putty. 

Then I pressed the item I wanted to make a mold of into my putty, and after about 15 or 30 minutes, I removed it.

I let the mold cure for 24 hours, and then I poured my resin in. I let the resin cure in the silicone mold for 72 hours. I then removed my resin piece from the mold. 

Here's the item I wanted to replicate:

Here's my silicone mold of the item:

Here's my first resin cast from this mold after I removed it. I used lavender acrylic paint and gold glitter in my resin for the coloring:

I was able to reuse this mold several times until it cracked. I think it's because I used a non "epoxy resin" a couple of times, which may have been too harsh. Or maybe I didn't care for it properly, neglected to use mold release, etc. In any case it's so cheap, I can just make another mold. Generally I only use epoxy resin because everything else (other resins) smells like ass. 

Seeing that this technique worked out, I've gone ahead and purchased the larger silicone caulk:

And the caulking gun to use it:

Hopefully I can learn how to preserve my molds because I don't want to make the same mold twice again. I'll be trying to figure that out this time around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment