Translate

Monday, May 11, 2015

100% Silicone ii and Cornstarch Mold Making - Fail...?

     I tested my mold today, after a almost 72 hour wait time, which should be ample time for this type of mold to fully cure. It did not bend, but broke :(




So I probably got the wrong silicone this time. Next time I go to the Home Depot, I'll pick up some GE 100% Silicone i, which is clearly what I have used in the past. 

For now, since I still have an entire large tube of GE 100% Silicone ii, I will use the rest of it in another attempt(s) to make a functional mold. If anything works, I'll blog about what I believe is the how and why it worked out. For now, if you're planning on using this mold making technique, stick with 100% Silicone I. 

     Here's a link to one of the first and the most useful YouTube video tutorials I saw when I decided to start making my own molds. In this video tutorial the lady doesn't specify what kind of Silicone Caulk she is using, and makes her molds with only two ingredients: silicone and a powder such as cornstarch. 

     I guess my next attempt will be with only cornstarch and the silicone ii. Maybe the baby oil wasn't necessary because the silicone itself didn't need any lubricant to cure and it is possible this may have prevented it from curing. Also, the acrylic paint is an optional step according to every tutorial I've seen or read. It's basically just an option if you want your molds to have color. However, acrylic paint is water based and since silicone ii is a different beast, this too may also have prevented the curing of my mold. I'll be sure to let you know if this works out. 

     One last thing is I want to mention some changes to the layout of my blog. If you are viewing the web version, on the right hand side of my blog I have added my Amazon Wishlist amongst my links. Below this, I have added a PayPal Donate button. If you are interested in donating in any way towards my small business (DeniseDoesCouture), which is still in the fetus stage, you have those options.  

     Thanks, and until next time,




No comments:

Post a Comment